- RESEARCH: When starting on your book there are 3 main "PRIME LOOKS" you need to capture. A) Beauty B) Editorial C) Creative. Creative is great but make sure not to go overboard and make your work look professional, clean, polished, and fashionable. Look at magazines and other references to get HIGH FASHION INSPIRATION. Tip: You can have a variety of each prime look, as long as your pictures tell a story.
- Who do YOU ADMIRE? Look at top leading makeup artist in the industry and look at their website, what make them popular and what makes people want to hire them? Learn to pin point the visual of their work and concepts. It takes time but it can and will happen to you. We all start from somewhere!
- Testing: Finding the right photographer to collaborate with is very important, don't just go with the 1st photographer online. The photographer must understand and appreciate your goal and vision. Testing with more than 1 photographer will get you a very diverse portfolio. AND NO, you do not pay a photographer to test with you, its really for all involved benefit.
- Determine what area of the industry you want to work in: Beauty, Fashion, Photography? And see examples of work that makeup and hair people in that particular industry are currently doing.
- Pictures should be 5 X 10 in color. They should be clear and clean when inserted into your portfolio.
Thursday, March 17, 2011
MUA & Hair Portfolio
A Portfolio is a well presented book with photographs of your most current up to date work. This important marketing tool is vital to your success, thus is why you should pay close attention to its content and details. If you are starting off in the industry, its OK to have just 5 pictures that showcase the variety and diversity of your work. Think about the mood, style, and feeling that you want your pictures to look like. What are you trying to specialize in, what type of work do you want to gain from your book?
Things to consider:
Now that you know a little bit more and are encouraged and empowered, you also need to know that in today's technologically advanced times decision makers, Booker's, and agents also require an online link to your portfolio. I have done one with my Mac Book Pro very easy with movie maker. Other computers non mac have a similar program. This is a great way to send your work to multiple people without wait and traveling. A online reel should be under 2 minutes. If you are going to apply music make sure its not TECHNO nor OPRA, keep music modern and moderate.
TOP 5 MAKEUP LOOKS YOU SHOULD HAVE IN YOUR BOOK:
A POWERFUL LIP STATEMENT
A SMOKEY EYE LOOK
STRONG FASHION LOOK
If you like this post- please share it with others and please comment. As always, I appriciate and value your time, comments, and feedback!
peace and love,
the makeup artist