Tip: When you introduce yourself, Say, Hi, My name is ___________________, and Ill be grooming you today. vs Saying, Hi' My name is __________ and I'm your "makeup" artist- .
Men are more likely to feel more open to the word "grooming" rather to "makeup artist" where that word could be "offensive" or "make them feel not like they don't need MAKEUP".
Be yourself as a makeup artist and just make sure you keep professional (No flirting)
I remember one of my colleagues doing Eminem's grooming and he really didn't talk that much to her, but kept his conversations with her very professional and very short. Some actors wont even talk to you, just stand back, do your job, and be polite.
MEN'S GROOMING KIT- Keep a separate kit for Men Only
1. Tinted Moisturizer
2. Loose Translucent Powder
3. Powder Puff
4. Clear Brow & Lash Gel
5. Brown Mascara: Could be mixed with clear to sheer it out and make lashes look more natural
6. Shaving Cream
5. Disposable Shavers
6. Hair Comb
7. Hair Styling Products (Hair Spray, Gel, Palm aid, Vaseline, etc.
8. Natural Matte Eye Shadows in brown, taupe, black, grey, rust, white, and beige.
9. A Matte Bronzer
10. Lip Balm
12. Mints (for you and your client)
13, A tooth brush & tooth paste- Just in case. Or to use to comb makeup & powder off the hair line!
16. A Black Matte Eye Shadow- Sometimes you will need to color in hair lines or bald spots for TV
17.A GREY MATTE EYE SHADOW will fill in a mustache or a beard, or create a 5 O'clock Shadow
19. Glycerin to make skin dewy, or mix with water to create a sweat look (mix 50/50 with water in a bottle)
20. Pore Minimizer and Mattifier - clear if possible
21. Toner to control oil- Cotton Rounds
22. Q-Tips- for obvious reasons and to clean up
A FEW PRODUCTS THAT I RECOMMEND TO HAVE ARE:
I personally love using and having in my celebrity male grooming kit
Deep Pore Cleansing Clay (Travel Size 2.0 oz $10.00
I love to use this product because not only does it cleanse and prepares the skin, absorbs excess oil, and tightens pores. Apply Leave on for 2-5 minutes, and wash off with a wet cotton round. EASY & EFFECTIVE! Its for all skin types, allergy tested, and fragrance free!
Astringent 2.0oz $8.00 Buy: http://www.anthony.com/store/product/astringent-2oz/
Whats not to love when using this product helps in finishing cleaning the skin, toning and balancing the ph of the skin. It tightens pores, soothes the skin, and controls oils. It contains Witch Hazel so its natural, and infused with Aloe Vera to sooth, calm, and hydrate the skin organically. Apply with cotton rounds especially on the T-zone and Forehead.
Citrus Lip Balm (Guys Love This)$8.00
A combination of beeswax, carnauba and candelilla (plant waxes) protect lips against environmental elements, avocado oil and rice bran oil moisturize and soothe, vitamins A and E, and help lips retain moisture.
The Portable Manicure Kit Buy: http://www.anthony.com/store/product/the-tool-kit/
This portable manicure set for men contains a stainless steel nail file, nail clipper, tweezer and grooming scissors stored in a cool, brushed aluminum canister to provide convenient, travel-sized implements for the put together guy on-the-go.
- When applying foundation, make sure to blend onto any facial hair with a damp sponge, you don't want a cast of foundation making the hair look ashy. Be aware of how concealer and foundation make facial hair.
- Come out powder out of facial hair. When done with the makeup and powder application, take a tooth brush, brow gel, or brow comb through the eye brow and hair line. This will remove any residue away from the hair.
- You should mix 50/50 of your foundation with a moisturizer to make a sheer coverage. Set with a clear powder with a powder puff and not a brush. A puff will lock powder in and buff the surface better.
- When contouring Men's faces- keep more geometric shapes rather than round contours. Men's faces are more square, or oblong in shape. i.e a more masculine jaw line is square versus a feminine oval.
- Working with concealers can be tricky- LESS IN BEST!
- AVOID using too much foundation and powder- Always go the more natural sheer look.
- Avoid using harsh black eye liners & mascara- It tends to look too false.
- Is you have a light skin tone model and his lips are rosy or red- mix a small amount of clear lip balm with a concealer to give a sheer coverage and remove any fleshy toned color.
- Avoid FULL COVERAGE FOUNDATIONS- If your model or client has acne or scars- the last thing you want to do is attract more attention to the problem. Just try to even out the color and keep an eye out for any texture!
- Study the mans face shape vs a women's face shape- Distinguish shapes, contours, and lines of the face.
Here are some images of good male grooming